Ten Top Tips for Holiday Mental Health
July and August often mean holidays, days away and visits with friends and family. School holidays, travel and mixing with crowds of people you may not normally see can mean extra stress and with it a need to take some extra care of your mental health. Here are 10 top tips to stay well and enjoy your Summer!
1. Remember What Really Matters Take a few moments to reflect on the good things that are happening in your life. Remind yourself that it’s simply a long queue or a traffic jam and put on some music while you wait!
2. Accept Imperfection It’s helpful to accept that everything during this time will not be perfect in your eyes, but a lot of things can be enjoyable. It’s all right if things don’t go exactly how you planned.
3. Be Kind While you can’t control how others act during the holidays, you can choose to show kindness to others. Rather than becoming angry or irritated, work on viewing the situation through a new lens.
4. Think of your Goals Remember your goals in everyday life like adding more fruit or veggies to your diet, going outside more or taking more time for yourself and don’t forget to do them on holiday too.
5. Make Time for Self-Care When things become too overwhelming, take a step back and take a moment to breathe, read a book or go for a walk alone.
6. Give Yourself a Spending Limit It’s helpful to set a budget for yourself during this time of year so you don’t have to stress about money.
7. Watch Your Mood Know what makes you happy and ensure you make those things a part of your daily routine.
8. Ask for Help Reaching out for help during the Summer is one of the best things you can do if you’re struggling with your mental health. But remember everyone needs a break once in a while too so take the holidays you are due.
9. Keep a Regular Sleep, Eat and Exercise Schedule Caring for your physical health can make an impact on the state of your mental health. Things like exercising and getting enough rest help your mind stay healthy and make a positive impact on your mental and emotional health.
10. Practice Relaxation Activities like meditation, scheduling a massage or taking a yoga class can help you unwind and enjoy a moment of peace during your day. Even a few rounds of deep breathing before you head off shopping or to the family barbecue can help you relax and get rid of the stress hormones which build up in your blood.