At this time of year many people resolve to give something up but why not take up a healthy habit and start to learn how to look after your money? Research shows that there are major links between money and mental health. Did you know that in England there are over 1.5 million people experiencing both problem debt and mental health problems? Just under half of people with problem debt also have a mental health problem. In a major survey from the Money and Mental Health Policy Institute 5,500 people with mental health problems said that their financial situation had contributed to their mental health difficulties. So, what can you do to help?
1. Go to the Money and Mental Health Policy Institute website and download their factsheet.
2. Go to the Moneysaving expert website and download a free booklet on mental health and debt
3. If you are worried about your situation speak to a friend or family member.
4. Get professional help from the Citizens’ Advice Bureau
5. If you are worried about someone, don’t wait to ask them how they are doing, you might be the only one that reaches out !